Court of Protection

    If a member of your family or a friend has reached a stage where you believe they are no longer able to make decisions for themselves, and they have not appointed any Attorney, you can apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as the person’s Deputy (formerly called a Receiver).

    The Court of Protection will consider whether the individual can make decisions and if not then they will appoint a Deputy either for property and finances or for personal welfare or both.

    The Deputy is often a family member or friend but may also be a professional such as a solicitor or an accountant.  The Court of Protection will set out the decisions that can be made by the Deputy. The Deputy is held responsible by the Court for making decisions in the person’s best interests and may need to apply for permission for certain actions.

    This is an area where considerable care has to be taken to protect the individual and his/her family and indeed the Deputy themselves. Do come to see us if you are facing this sort of situation.